Welcome to the ECMQG July 2014 Block Lottery!
If you are new to the group, or our blog, you can read the general Block Lottery information here, as well as see previous blocks (with instructions or tutorials) and past winners. As always, please read through the entire instructions before cutting and sewing.
The rules are simple:
The rules are simple:
- The Lottery is open to all ECMQG members in good standing.
- Please use only quilt shop quality fabric (no Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's fabric with the exception of designer lines. **Please no batiks, civil war or traditional fabrics). If you are not sure if your fabric fits in the category of 'Modern' please ask :)
- The aesthetic is ALWAYS MODERN
- Take your time and effort to construct your block well, and use 1/4" seam allowances (unless the tutorial states otherwise).
- Blocks should be the correct size, within about a quarter of an inch.
- Each block + $1 is one entry in the drawing.You may submit as many entries as you would like.
- Please label your block with you name, either within the seam allowance on the back or an address label stuck to the back. The winner would love to know who made their lovely blocks.
- Past winners can still contribute, but please understand until we see a finished quilt from your win, allow someone else the thrill of winning.
- If you have any questions please contact me - Kira - or comment below.
This month the color palette is - SOLID COLOR FABRICS!
All solids and only solids - NO prints, please.
Block Tutorial - Pick Up Sticks (Improv Block Making)
I am not normally a improv quilter. I like plans and maps and the orderly process of quilt making. Improvisation scares me, yep it does!
I know there are other quilters like me and I know that there are quilters who are thrilled to cut and sew with wild abandon. But sadly thats not me...
So to get over my fear and learn to love the freedom this type of piecing can bring, I decided to make a tutorial for all the 'uptight - like their rules - always needing a pattern' quilters like me :)
Start with a 13" square of solid fabric and strips from 1" to 2" wide strips (any size you have, but much longer than 13") of solid fabrics. Use as many strips as you want.
Now lay the 13" square on your cutting board.
You are going to cut it ....and not use a measurement.
But do use a ruler to make a straight cut.
Make a cut - yea, go ahead and do it! I promise it will be ok!
Next take one of the strips and place it on the cut square.
Take it to the sewing machine and using a 1/4" seam allowance sew it.
Press the strip and trim even with the original square.
Trim both ends.
Now line up the other side of the square.
Make sure you have at least 1/4" points on the top and bottom.
See here... the little point.
Sew and then press.
Now you are ready to add another strip.
Cut as before, but make sure to have fun with it!!
Add another strip.
Keep going until you feel happy :)
Now you have an untrimmed block.
Optional - I use spray starch, it helps with my uptight 'A' type personality ;)
Trim to 12.5" square.
All done and you did it!!
You just did improv block making!!
Have fun and good luck!!
ECMQG Block Lottery Coordinator