Welcome to the ECMQG April 2016 Block Lottery!
If you are new to the group, or to our blog, you can read the general Block Lottery information here, as well as see previous blocks (with instructions or tutorials) and past winners. As always, please read through the entire instructions before cutting and sewing.
The block we are doing this month is 'Checker' which was created by Jess of Elven Garden Quilts for a blog series called 'Bee Hive' hosted by Alyce Blyth of Blossom Heart Quilts. Thanks to both Jess and Alyce for granting us permission to use this block and tutorial!
Jess is an Australian Modern Quilter and pattern designer who also admits to being a fabric hoarder, coffee addict, mum, and Bernina Textile Artist. At her blog Elven Garden Quilts you will find a 'Modern Sampler QAL', 'Color Theory for Quilters' series, Free Motion QAL series, and many wonderful tutorials.
Alyce Blyth is a quilt designer, teacher and blogger at Blossom Heart Quilts. Alyce has recently published an Ebook 'DIY Block Design' - quote from the book "DIY Block Design is the culmination of both these passions where I teach you everything needed to successfully design and make your own quilt blocks, from inspiration to cutting to sharing." To learn more about Alyce and her Ebook please visit her blog at Blossom Heart Quilts.
Please stop by both these wonderful blogs and say hi!
|Block using Cotton + Steel|
This block finishes at 12" (unfinished at 12.5")
Colors for this month are black, navy, or brown modern prints (think dark modern prints) for the cross and two of the HSTs, with neutral prints (think light background modern prints or low volume to learn more on low volume go here) for the two rectangles and two of the HSTs.
This fun block tutorial can be found here
If you have questions please ask in the comments below, on our facebook group, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
ECMQG Block Lottery,
Elaine and Susan
The rules are simple:
- The Lottery is open to all ECMQG members in good standing.
- Please use only quilt shop quality fabric (no Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's fabric with the exception of designer lines. **Please no batiks, civil war or traditional fabrics). If you are not sure if your fabric fits in the category of 'Modern' please ask :)
- The aesthetic is ALWAYS MODERN
- Take your time and effort to construct your block well, and use 1/4" seam allowances (unless the tutorial states otherwise).
- Blocks should be the correct size, within about a quarter of an inch.
- Each block + $1 is one entry in the drawing.You may submit as many entries as you would like.
- Please label your block with you name, either within the seam allowance on the back or an address label stuck to the back. The winner would love to know who made their lovely blocks.
- Past winners can still contribute, but please understand until we see a finished quilt from your win, allow someone else the thrill of winning.
- If you have any questions please contact Elaine or Susan - or comment below.