February 10 Meeting Minutes for the "small and mighty" ECMQG
Our meeting began promptly at 10 am with the clanking of the bell.
- Members were reminded to sign up for the monthly potluck.
- Our online auction was considered a success. Planning is underway for another auction in November.
- We will be limiting our guild sponsored charity quilts to two each year. Currently Natalie is working on the Hospice quilt and the 2017 Quiltcon charity quilt. The charity has not yet been determined for the Quiltcon quilt.
- Quiltcon 2019: Charity quilt info to be announced June/July. Make plans early to register and attend.
- People are happier when they are creating. Show and Tell is for sharing the joy of creating. Bring what you are working on.
- Monthly we will be highlighting a quilter from our guild on the Blog.
- Tiger Lily, Kona color of the year challenge was introduced. This will be a bag or tote that the creator keeps. Fabric will be available for purchase at the April meeting.
- We will be sending “Bits of Friendship” scraps to The Pine Tree Quilter’s Guild of Muskoka. Bring beachy colored/themed scraps to the March meeting.
- Riley Blake Spring Challenge is underway; deadline is April 22, be sure and post with the required hashtags.
- The upcoming calendar was discussed and pointed out on the blog. It is currently up to date.
- At the March meeting Wendi will be demonstrating quilting on your domestic sewing machine. Free motion and walking foot.
- A reminder that at the April Sit and Sew Natalie will be helping those that started their strip piecing with Diane should bring their started projects.
- A fundraiser suggestion was made, would members be interested in purchasing a chance ($10) to win long arm services.
- Maureen gave a membership status, we currently have 17 members.
We played “Get to Know Your Guild” game.
We had 8 participants in our “Bring Two, Take One” Zippy Swap. Participants were able to choose the Zippy that spoke to them, the other was donated to our upcoming online auction in November.
Lisa was the happy winner of the “Bits of Friendship” block presented by Mary. Lisa went home with a whopping 29 blocks.
Flying Needles Quilt Show will be held at The Palms in Destin on Feb, 23-24.
Our guild will have a booth at the Surfing the Beach Quilt Show. We will have a display showcasing our Flamingo Challenge Mini Quilts. Members will be on hand to answer questions about our guild and Modern Quilting.
Cindy – 1/4” seams
Cindy presented our block lottery using Elizabeth Hartman’s, The Knee Sock Block. She discussed how important accuracy with the 1/4 inch seam will be to make this block work. Cindy helped members 1 on 1 work on their accurate ¼ inch seams. Blocks should be done in solids with a white background, colors should be in the warm color range, Red Violet to Yellow, Finished block should be 12.5 inches.
Show and Tell, Pot Luck, and Sew Day rounded out a day of fellowship and sewing.