Welcome to the ECMQG October 2014 Block Lottery!
If you are new to the group, or our blog, you can read the general Block Lottery details here, as well as see previous blocks (with instructions or tutorials) and past winners. As always, please read through the entire instructions before cutting and sewing.
The block we are going to make can be found here, courtesy of Marcia Hohn .
It is a 6.5" unfinished paper-pieced block.
**To participate, you must make four individual blocks and join them into a 12.5" unfinished block.'
Click here for the template.
- Print four sets of templates. There are two pieces to each 6.5" block.
- Check the test square. It should be 1" (or 1 and 1/16"). Anything larger or smaller will create an incorrect sized block.
- Mark spaces numbered 2 & 5 (I just make an X) for your red and white print fabrics.
- Spaces numbered 1, 3, 4, & 6 are for the white solid fabric.
- Once you've sewn your fabrics to the template, trim to the outside seam allowance. This is the ONLY time you'll need to trim your blocks.
- Remove the paper. Sew the two halves together to make one 6.5" unfinished block.
- Repeat three more times.
- Press and starch your blocks.
- Sew two 6.5" blocks together, pressing seams open.
- Repeat with the remaining two 6.5" blocks. Again, press seams open.
- Sew these "double" blocks together to make one, 12.5" unfinished Peppermint Candy block. Press seams open.
Resources for paper piecing, if you need a refresher, can be found with just a quick search engine inquiry. I like Marcia's step-by-step lesson and this video from Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Have fun sewing!
ECMQG Block Lottery Coordinator